I get asked something beauty-product-related at least once a day so I rounded up my favourite beauty buys and my beauty regrets from 2017. There is something for every price point, and every type of shopper from Sephora to drug store to hardware store…
- Sephora Eye Mask: I honestly can’t say enough good things about this little treat – the price included. You notice the results almost instantly after using it. I have never tried a better eye product, period. Tuck your mask in a ziplock baggy after its first use and keep it in the fridge to get a few uses out of it (just make sure your face is clean each time!). Cooling your mask in the fridge will also help with deputing your eyes and making them feel refreshed!
- Honest Company Conditioning Detangler: Dannnng Jessica Alba you did goooood. I originally purchased this to tame Mila’s wild curls but quickly stole it (sorry Mils!) once I saw the magic it was working on her crazy ‘do.
- O’Keeffe’s Working Hands: This is a product straight from the beauty gods themselves. A little unconventional, I know, I mean who buys beauty products from a hardware store? After having M, I developed really bad Dermatitis on my hands from too much hand washing (sue me for being clean). This cream tops any other I tried – including my Doctor’s recommendations.
- Sunnatan’s Colour Me Dark: Trust me when I say I have scoured the highest mountains and the lowest valleys to find a decent self-tanner and this one wins in all aspects! Thanks to my Irish heritage I am naturally very fair, like VERY FAIR. I look unhealthily pale if I don’t maintain my tan regimen. SALT Studio in Chemainus keeps me stocked up (not to mention, Jen is a spray tan genius there). Make sure you pick up the mitt too!
- Batiste Dry Shampoo: You may as well consider this the only dry shampoo because it’s the only one you need. My favourite place to pick it up is Winners, not only do you get a discount but they often carry the bigger size.
- Amika Bust your Brass Purple Shampoo: The best of the best, the creme de la creme. This is the BEST purple shampoo out there, scout’s honour (now you KNOW it’s real). After using it even once you can notice a much more intensified ashy tone to your blonde which is super hard to achieve if you have naturally red undertones a la moi. Ok too much French here sorry.
- Ole Henriksen Transforming Walnut Scrub: Ok so if you watched any of my Instagram stories in November you’d know that I am practically married to Dr. Brandt, but Ole Henriksen won me over with this line… I recently nabbed it on a point perk at Sephora and fell in love. It smells delicious and nothing removes my makeup better than this gentle exfoliant.
- Revlon Colourstay Gel Envy: I picked this product up on an impulse buy craving a new nail colour. I was impressed by the longevity despite my neglect to use a top coat (ain’t nobody got time for that). Now I only buy from this line. Sorry, NOT sorry. Click here to see my nail routine!
- It Cosmetics Superhero Mascara: Thank you It Cosmetics for making an end-game mascara. Like seriously please put this on my eye lashes when I am buried; It’s that good.
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick: This is my new favourite lip product. I grabbed it on the VIB 20% off sale in November and am so glad I did. Since then I have purchased it in multiple colours and the tones are gorgeous plus – the colour actually lasts. The price point is super reasonable too.
- Sephora Beauty Amplifier Smoothing Translucent Setting Powder: Ok, ok so I bought this despite its poor reviews so I have no one to blame but myself. This powder STINKS, and it causes serious flash back in photos. But hey, if you don’t have a sense of smell and you don’t mind looking like a ghoul in selfies then fly at ‘er. The price point is good at least.
- Tarte CC Undereye Corrector: This was a disappointment for me. The reviews were good and I love Tarte. I think this is a low point for them. The product is super greasy and doesn’t do much at all.
- Peter Thomas Roth Face Masks: I picked this set up as a gift for my sister and grabbed one for me too. Rachel, please accept my sincere apology for this crappy gift. What. A. Waste. Of. Money. The only one that I will say is good is the Irish Moor Mud Mask (the black one). The other masks don’t really seem to do much at all honestly.
- Blinc Mascara: Ok this product just plain scares me. It tubes your lashes rather than coating them (Read: nightmare to remove). It caused me a lot of stressful evenings trying to remove this mascara without it taking my lashes out with it. Definitely not worth it…
- Sephora Cleansing Cream: Disclaimer: I only tried the Yuzu cleansing cream so I cannot speak for the other variations of this product, but it did absolutely nothing. I am skeptical about a cleanser that can’t even remove makeup. I think this cleanser is a prime example of you get what you pay for… It has NOTHING on the Ole Henriksen Transforming Walnut Scrub, that is for sure. I can’t link this because these products aren’t available on Sephora’s site anymore… I wonder why…
I hope this helps! Have you had any similar experiences with these products, or do you have any recommendations that I missed on my lists? Let me know in the comments below!